Monday, September 13, 2010

The First Day of School

Agenda
English
Welcome
Course Outlines
Supplies
HW:  Course outline signed, and supplies!

History
Welcome
Who are we?
BLOG
HW:  Personal artifact

logger:  Ms. Nakada

Welcome to the first blog for Ms. Nakada's fifth period English and sixth period US History classes.

After lunch, everyone headed up to room 229 and entered the class for our first day.  I took some time to sign program cards and say so many familiar faces.  I taught a bunch of these students for the first five weeks of sixth grade and they sure have grown up since then.  I called role and, maybe because they were tired from lunch and a long day, but some of my students were less than enthusiastic about being here.

After roll I asked students, "What is your story?"  We talked a little about what stories we've heard and what we might have to say to the world.  We went over the course outlines for English and history, the grading  homework and all of that.  Edgar wasn't sure what in the world I was talking about, and my guess is that lots of students didn't know either, but I'm not worried.  We'll all get there.

After a break between fifth and sixth periods, everyone got their English textbooks (oh, and everyone was on time.  Well done, class).  A nice, tall student fixed the blinds (thanks) and then students took a look at some artifacts in order to learn a little something about their new teacher.  They were pretty observant correctly identifying my age (nice job Chris), how long I've been married, and how short I've been my entire life.

We named our blog (this one you are reading right now) and that was it for the day!  And tomorrow, I look forward to hearing my students' stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment